Custom Mouthguards in Birmingham, MI
Protect Your Teeth From Damage With Dr. Jay Stone
Whether for sports or sleeping, investing in a custom mouthguard can make all the difference in your oral health. Dr. Jay Stone at Premier Birmingham Dentistry creates custom-fit nightguards and mouthguards tailored to your unique needs. If you grind your teeth, play contact sports, or just want to protect your smile, a personalized oral guard from Dr. Stone is essential.
Safeguard your smile from damage and wear with these custom oral appliances. Call (248) 644-8520 to explore our mouthguard solutions today!
What Are Mouthguards & Nightguards?
Nightguards and mouthguards are plastic devices worn over your teeth to prevent grinding, clenching, and injury. While similar, they have some key differences:
- Nightguards are worn during sleep to protect against teeth grinding (bruxism) and clenching. They help prevent tooth damage, headaches, TMJ pain, and other issues.
- Mouthguards are worn during sports activities. They protect teeth from direct blows and reduce the chance of concussions by absorbing shock.
The Importance of Mouthguards
Mouthguards stand as a crucial line of defense in safeguarding your dental health. These custom oral appliances serve as a shield, protecting your teeth from a range of potential harm. Whether you’re engaged in sports activities or combatting the effects of bruxism, a well-designed mouthguard can make a substantial difference.
Unlike their generic “boil-and-bite” counterparts, custom mouthguards provide a secure and comfortable fit tailored to your unique oral structure. Investing in a high-quality mouthguard is a proactive step toward ensuring the longevity and well-being of your dental health.
Benefits of Custom Nightguards and Mouthguards
Dr. Stone creates custom nightguards and mouthguards tailored to your unique teeth, bite, age, and sport. The benefits of custom oral appliances versus generic store-bought versions include:
- Superior Fit and Comfort: Custom mouthguards fit your teeth precisely for comfortable nightlong wear.
- Advanced Protection: With ideal fit, sports mouthguards provide better shock absorption and more effectively reduce the force transmitted to the jaw, brain, and neck.
- Improved Durability: Made with strong dental materials, our mouthguards resist tearing and last longer than generic mouthguards.
- Easier Breathing and Speaking: With excellent retention and fit, you can sleep, talk, and breathe naturally.
- Coverage Where You Need It: Mouthguards can be designed to protect vulnerable teeth.
- Better Value Over Time: Although more expensive initially, custom mouthguards need replacement less often, saving you money in the long run.
The Custom Mouthguard Process at Premier Birmingham Dentistry
Your visit starts with an in-depth dental exam by Dr. Stone, where he assesses your bite alignment, identifies any underlying issues, and discusses your needs in detail. Bring up any concerns about grinding, clenching, headaches, or dental injuries during your consultation so he can make the appropriate recommendations.
To craft a mouthguard that fits your teeth perfectly, Dr. Stone uses advanced digital scanning or impressions. He’ll guide you through the quick and comfortable process of capturing precise 3D images of your teeth. This technology allows the creation of mouthguards with ideal fit and thickness in all areas.
With your impressions or scans, our onsite dental lab fabricates your custom nightguard or mouthguard using the highest quality materials. Depending on your sport or needs, Dr. Stone selects durable acrylics, laminates, or flexible vinyls with optimal thickness and design. Every guard is carefully crafted and polished for flawless comfort and protection.
Caring For Your Mouthguard
Caring for a mouthguard is crucial for its effectiveness and your oral health. Here are some essential steps to follow:
- Rinse After Use: After wearing your mouthguard, rinse it thoroughly with cold water. This helps remove saliva and any food particles that may have accumulated.
- Use Mild Soap: Periodically use a mild soap or dishwashing detergent to clean your mouthguard. Gently scrub it with a soft toothbrush, ensuring all surfaces are cleaned. Avoid using hot water, as it may warp the material.
- Avoid High Temperatures: Never expose your mouthguard to high temperatures, such as leaving it in direct sunlight or hot water. Extreme heat can alter the shape and fit.
- Keep in a Ventilated Container: Store your mouthguard in a well-ventilated container when it’s not in use. This helps prevent the growth of bacteria.
- Avoid Chewing or Biting: Refrain from chewing on your mouthguard, as this can lead to damage.
- Regular Check-ups: During your dental check-ups, bring your mouthguard along. Our dentist can inspect it for any signs of wear.
- Replace When Necessary: Over time, a mouthguard may wear down or lose shape. It’s important to replace it if you notice any deterioration, as an ill-fitting mouthguard may not provide adequate protection.
- Keep Away from Pets: Ensure your mouthguard is stored where pets can’t access it. Pets may mistake it for a chew toy, leading to potential damage.
By following these care instructions, you’ll extend the lifespan of your mouthguard and continue to benefit from its protective qualities. Remember, a well-maintained mouthguard is a key component in preserving your dental health and ensuring its effectiveness when you need it most.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely. Mouthguards for children are crucial, especially if they play sports like hockey, softball, or football. Your dentist can create custom mouthguards for your children to ensure their developing teeth are protected during sports and other activities.
While not a primary treatment, a custom mouthguard can be part of a comprehensive approach to managing sleep apnea. Custom oral appliances help keep the airway open, reducing snoring and improving sleep quality.
Yes, custom mouthguards can accommodate braces, providing the necessary protection without interfering with orthodontic treatment.
In many cases, dental insurance may cover a portion of the cost of a custom mouthguard. Check with your provider for specific details.
Prevent Damage to Your Smile with Premier Birmingham Dental
Don’t wait for tooth damage, jaw pain, or sports injuries — invest in a custom-fit nightguard or mouthguard today. Call Premier Birmingham Dental at (248) 644-8520 or schedule your consultation online to learn more.
Dr. Stone and our team look forward to helping patients from the Birmingham area, including Beverly Hills, Clawson, and Berkley, MI, love their smiles with a comfortable, protective guard designed just for them.