Oral Cancer Screenings in Birmingham, MI
Prevention Is Key
Oral cancer is a scary thought and can be unsettling to think about — but if it’s caught early on, it can be completely cured. Here at Premier Birmingham Dentistry, we’re able to detect the early warning signs of oral cancer during your regular dental checkups. Learn about oral cancer screenings and how this quick examination can prevent oral cancer from advancing.
What Is an Oral Cancer Screening?
An oral cancer screening is an examination performed by Dr. Stone to look for any signs of cancer or other oral pathologies in the mouth. The process is quick, easy, and painless — Dr. Stone can perform it in under five minutes at your routine checkups.
When performing your exam, Dr. Stone will look for asymmetries, swellings, bumps, patches of discoloration, ulceration, and other abnormalities. He’ll assess your face, neck, lips, jaw, cheeks, and inside of your nose and oral cavity.
Generally, patients should schedule a dental exam and checkup once every six months to maintain pristine oral health. This allows our Birmingham team to perform oral cancer screenings at least once a year and evaluate possible warning signs before they can progress.
What Is Oral Cancer?
Oral cancer is a type of cancer that develops in the tissues of your mouth or throat. It typically appears as a growth or sore that doesn’t go away. This is why yearly oral cancer screenings are important, especially since we can’t see inside our own mouths with the detail and expertise of our dentist.
The most common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Swelling, lumps, bumps, rough spots, or eroded areas on the lips, gums, or other parts inside the mouth
- The development of velvety white, red, or speckled patches in the mouth
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Unexplained numbness or pain/tenderness in any area of the face, mouth, or neck
- Persistent sores on the face, neck, or mouth that bleed easily and don’t heal within two weeks
- A constant soreness or feeling that something is caught in the back of the throat
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
- Hoarseness, chronic sore throat, or a drastic change in the tone of voice
- Ear pain
- Dramatic weight loss
If you notice any of these symptoms, please call our Birmingham office to make an appointment with Dr. Stone.
The Importance of Early Detection
The purpose of an oral cancer screening is to detect oral cancer in its early stages. The sooner it’s discovered and treatment can begin, the more likely a complete rehabilitation becomes. A few compelling reasons to get regular oral cancer screenings are:
- It’s easy — our Birmingham dentist will perform a painless, reliable check for warning signs during your regular exam
- It’s affordable — the screening is performed during your routine checkup so there’s no additional cost
- It can save your life — the survival rate for oral cancer increases when it’s detected and treated early on
Schedule Your Appointment at Premier Birmingham Dentistry
Oral cancer screenings are crucial for detecting the early onset of oral cancer. By visiting Dr. Stone at Premier Birmingham Dentistry for regular dental checkups, we’re able to help you stay ahead of oral problems and avoid invasive and uncomfortable treatments in the future. To schedule your appointment, call our Birmingham office at (248) 644-8520. You can also get in touch through our online contact form.