Dental Bridges in Birmingham, MI
Superior Tooth Replacements With Our Birmingham Dentist
At Premier Birmingham Dentistry, Dr. Jay Stone offers dental bridges as a reliable, natural-looking tooth replacement option. For patients suffering from unwanted gaps in their smile due to tooth loss, our Birmingham dentist will help you achieve a restored smile that looks flawless.
Simply schedule your appointment with Dr. Stone by calling our dental office at (248) 644-8520. We’ll work with you to ensure that your smile goals are met and that your oral health is in the best condition it’s ever been.
What Is a Dental Bridge?
A dental bridge is a custom-made tooth replacement designed to fill in the gaps in your smile. The replacement tooth is called a pontic, and the bridge is typically held in place with dental crowns attached to the natural teeth on either side of the gap. It can also be secured with dental implants. Dental bridges are often fixed and can’t be removed. Unlike dentures, you won’t have to worry about your restoration slipping around or falling out of your mouth.
Why Patients Need Dental Bridges
While there are various restorative dentistry options available, dental bridges are a reliable and affordable tooth loss solution. Depending on their dental situation, patients most commonly need dental bridges due to:
- Bite problems
- One or multiple missing teeth
- Difficulty chewing
- Pain caused by excess stress on the teeth or jaw
- Feeling self-conscious about their smile appearance
The Dental Bridge Procedure
Birmingham dentist, Dr. Stone, can complete the dental bridge procedure in as little as two appointments at Premier Birmingham Dentistry. In four steps, you can achieve a new, healthy smile:
- We’ll start by providing you with a local anesthetic to ensure you’re comfortable. While you’re numb, Dr. Stone will prepare the two anchor teeth by gently removing a small portion of enamel to allow for the dental crown placement.
- Dr. Stone will then take digital impressions. These images are sent to a dental laboratory where your custom bridge will be created.
- You’ll be provided with a temporary restoration that you’ll wear for several weeks or until your permanent dental bridge is ready.
- At your placement appointment, our dentist will carefully check, adjust, and cement your permanent dental bridge. You’ll walk out of our Michigan dental office with a new smile you can’t help but show off.
In some cases, Dr. Stone may only temporarily cement the bridge to allow your natural teeth and tissues time to get used to the new bridge. The new bridge will be permanently cemented at a later time if this is the recommended course of action.
How to Care for a Dental Bridge
Dental bridges allow patients to achieve functional and beautiful smiles. However, caring for your dental bridge is essential in increasing its longevity. Follow these guidelines to help keep your restoration in pristine condition:
- Brush your teeth twice a day: It doesn’t take long for plaque deposits and tartar to build up. Brushing twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste will help remove irritants and keep bacteria away. We recommend avoiding the use of whitening toothpaste, as it can cause damage to your dental bridge.
- Floss once a day: Your dental bridge is supported by adjacent teeth, and if they become unhealthy or compromised, you risk losing your restoration. That’s why proper care is so essential. We recommend flossing in between all of your natural teeth at least once a day.
- Clean underneath your bridge: Make sure you’re regularly cleaning underneath your bridge. This allows you to remove debris and food particles in the space between your gums and dental bridge. If you’re unsure what oral care products will work best for this, our Birmingham dentist will be happy to provide you with recommendations.
- Visit Premier Birmingham Dentistry biannually: Maintaining routine dental cleanings and exam appointments is essential to your oral health. Visit our Birmingham dental office twice a year to ensure your oral health stays in excellent condition.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are four different types of dental bridges:
- Traditional fixed bridge: The most popular type of dental bridge as it consists of a false tooth (pontic) being held in place by dental crowns cemented to each of the anchoring teeth. These are used when you have natural teeth on both sides of a gap.
- Implant-supported bridge: Implant-supported bridges use dental implants instead of dental crowns for support. Typically, one implant will be placed for each missing tooth and they’ll hold the bridge in place.
- Cantilever bridge: Similar to a traditional bridge, the pontic is held in place by a dental crown that’s cemented to only one anchoring tooth. Patients only need one natural tooth next to their gap.
- Maryland dental bridge: These bridges utilize two natural anchor teeth, one on each side of the gap. Instead of using dental crowns, a Maryland bridge uses a metal or porcelain framework that’s bonded onto the backs of the natural teeth.
The cost of a dental bridge will be influenced by various factors. Patients can expect their costs to be determined by the type of dental bridge they receive, if they need any supplemental procedures beforehand, and their insurance coverage. At your initial consultation, Dr. Stone will go over the details of your treatment and provide you with a breakdown of the costs. We also offer financing options to fit your budget.
On average, dental bridges last between five and seven years. However, when patients take good care of their dental bridge, it can last 10 years or more. With a meticulous at-home oral hygiene routine plus regular dental appointments with your dentist, your dental bridge should last for years to come.
While dental bridges aren’t permanent, they can last 10 years or more before needing to be replaced. To increase the longevity of your dental bridge, follow a proper at-home oral hygiene routine and maintain regular dental cleanings and checkups at Premier Birmingham Dentistry. Regular visits allow us to examine your dental bridge and tighten the hardware when necessary.
Book Your Appointment With Dr. Stone Today
At Premier Birmingham Dentistry, dental bridges can provide patients with restored smiles that support excellent oral health. If missing teeth are holding you back, contact our Birmingham, MI dental office today. Dr. Stone will evaluate your oral health and determine if dental bridges are the perfect treatment for you. Simply call us at (248) 644-8520, or request an appointment online with our contact form.