Dental Crowns in Birmingham, MI
What is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown, also known as a tooth cap, is placed over the entire tooth surface to restore its natural shape and size. They’re used to effectively protect and strengthen a tooth that can’t be restored with fillings or other restorative options.
Porcelain crowns can also be used to replace a missing tooth as a part of a dental implant. They’re custom-made to match the shape, size, and color of your teeth for a beautiful, natural-looking smile. Crowns are crafted for maximum durability and will last for many years.
Reasons for Dental Crowns
At Birmingham Dentistry, our patients often choose dental crowns for several reasons. Some of which include:
- Protecting chipped, cracked, or damaged teeth
- Topping off a dental implant
- Securing a dental bridge
- Restoring a tooth after root canal therapy
- Improving the appearance of crooked teeth
The Crowning Process
The entire crowning procedure is completed in as little as two appointments to our dental office in Birmingham, MI. Dr. Stone can restore your smile in just a few steps:
- At your first appointment, we’ll take several molds or impressions of your teeth to create your custom crown. We’ll also use this mold to create your temporary crown until your new crown is fabricated by a dental laboratory.
- While your tooth is numb, Dr. Stone will prepare the tooth by removing any decay and shaping the surface for a perfectly snug fit.
- We’ll place your temporary crown with temporary cement, and check your bite to ensure you’re biting down properly.
- Your second appointment will include removing your temporary crown, cleaning the tooth, and carefully placing your new crown. This will ensure an accurate bite and precise spacing, giving you a newly restored, beautiful smile!
Frequently Asked Questions
Regular teeth-whitening treatments won’t work on a dental crown. Our porcelain crowns are resistant to staining and designed to match the color of your natural teeth. If your natural teeth begin to stain, we offer whitening treatments to help ensure they blend in seamlessly with your crown or bridge.
If your crown has been damaged, call our office at (248) 644-8520 as soon as possible to schedule an appointment. Depending on the severity, Dr. Stone may be able to repair or replace your crown after examining it.
Both a crown and a filling are solutions to address and prevent further tooth decay. A filling is used when a cavity exists. First, Dr. Stone will apply a local anesthetic, remove the decayed part of the tooth, and replace it with a filling. Then, your tooth will be buffed to soften the contour.
A crown is used to cover the entire tooth above the gum line and is used to solve a variety of dental issues. When the tooth has severe decay and a filling will no longer address the problem, a crown is needed. A crown can also cover a tooth that is misshaped, discolored, chipped, or broken.
Prior to getting a crown, Dr. Stone will apply a local anesthetic which will keep you pain-free throughout the procedure. Following the procedure, you may experience minimal discomfort which can be addressed with over-the-counter pain relievers or a cold compress.
Restore Your Smile Today With Dr. Stone
Dr. Stone uses natural-looking, porcelain crowns to restore a number of dental imperfections and strengthen your oral health. To learn more, give us a call at (248) 644-8520 or simply fill out a contact form to schedule an appointment. We look forward to hearing from you!