Periodontal Therapy in Birmingham, MI
The Importance of Healthy Gums
Creating excellent oral health begins at the gums. These soft tissues keep your teeth in place while protecting your tooth roots. However, many Americans suffer from periodontal (gum) disease, which threatens the integrity of your overall wellness. That’s why Dr. Jay Stone provides top-quality periodontal therapy at our Birmingham, MI, dental office.
Periodontal therapy helps patients restore their gums back to total health. Learn more about it in our Birmingham dentist’s helpful guide.
What Is Periodontal Therapy?
Periodontal therapy is a type of dental treatment focused on improving the health of the gums and the structures that support the teeth. The term “periodontal” refers to the tissues surrounding the teeth, including the gums, ligaments, and bone.
Dentists recommend periodontal therapy when a patient has gum disease, an infection caused by pockets formed by bacteria, plaque, and tartar between the gums and teeth. The goal of periodontal therapy is to eliminate the infection and restore the health of the gums.
Signs & Causes of Gum Disease
Periodontitis, or gum disease, is an infection in pockets between the teeth and gums. These pockets are the result of built-up plaque and tartar. If food and bacteria get stuck in them, the gums can become infected.
Gum disease is commonly known as the silent killer, as it may progress without pain or apparent symptoms. Noticing periodontitis in its early stages can significantly increase your chances of reversing its effects and preventing further damage.
Common signs include:
- Red or swollen gums
- Teeth shifting positions
- Receding gum line
- Spaces or gaps between teeth
- Permanent bad breath (halitosis)
- Bleeding gums while brushing or flossing
The Benefits of Periodontal Therapy
Periodontal therapy at Premier Birmingham Dentistry can help patients address their periodontal needs in a calm, relaxing environment. The benefits of treating gum disease include the following:
- Improved oral health: Periodontal therapy can help restore the health of your gums and prevent further damage to your teeth and supporting structures.
- Better overall health: Research has shown a link between gum disease and other health issues, such as heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
- Increased confidence: Healthy gums and teeth can give you a brighter, more confident smile.
The Periodontal Therapy Process
At Premier Birmingham Dentistry, we offer an effective treatment for patients suffering from mild to moderate cases of gum disease called scaling and root planing. During this deep-cleaning procedure, Dr. Stone will thoroughly remove any plaque and tartar build-up from beneath the gums.
After the scaling portion of the treatment is complete, we’ll smooth out the tooth roots in the root planing portion. We employ this method to prevent bacteria from settling into the cleaned area and encourage gum reattachment. Dr. Stone also uses ARESTIN® antibiotics in deep pockets to reduce pocket size.
Depending on the severity of your gum disease, we may recommend multiple scaling and root planing appointments to ensure the infection is completely eliminated. These procedures can help promote healing and restore the health of your gums.
Tips To Avoid Gum Disease
Although gum disease is common and treatable, there are many steps you can take to prevent gum disease from developing. Here are some tips to keep your gums healthy and happy:
- Brush and floss regularly: The most important thing you can do to prevent gum disease is to maintain good oral hygiene habits. Brush your teeth twice daily for two minutes each, and floss at least once daily to remove plaque and food particles between your teeth and gums.
- Use mouthwash: Mouthwash can help to kill bacteria in your mouth and freshen your breath. Look for a mouthwash that contains fluoride or an antiseptic agent like chlorhexidine, which can prevent gum disease.
- Quit smoking: Smoking is a risk factor for gum disease, as it can weaken your immune system and make it harder for your body to fight off infections. If you smoke, quitting is one of the best things you can do for your oral and overall health.
- Eat a healthy diet: A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can keep your gums healthy. Avoid sugary and starchy foods, which promote the growth of bacteria in your mouth.
- Get regular dental checkups: Even if you’re taking good care of your teeth and gums at home, you should still see a dentist regularly for cleanings and checkups. Your top Birmingham dentist, Dr. Stone, can detect gum disease early and provide treatment.
By following these tips, you can keep your gums healthy and prevent gum disease. If you have any concerns about your oral health, talk to your dentist or another healthcare professional.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gingivitis is a condition caused when bacteria surrounds the teeth and enters the gums. The gums can become irritated, inflamed, and often bleed. In order to prevent the condition from worsening, regular hygiene visits are highly recommended.
During your visit, our hygiene team will teach you the proper flossing techniques and oral hygiene protocol for at-home care. This will help prevent periodontal disease.
Gingivitis is the first stage of gum disease and can be easily treated with scaling and root planing. Symptoms of gingivitis include inflammation, red gums, bleeding when brushing or flossing, and bad breath.
Periodontitis is the more severe form of gum disease and may be a bit more difficult treating, depending on how critical it is. Common signs of periodontitis are similar to gingivitis, plus receding gums, pus between teeth and gums, very tender gums, and loose teeth.
Regular flossing and brushing is an important part of preventing gum disease. However, a good oral care regimen doesn’t prevent you from being at risk. Plaque and tartar can build up in places your brush or floss can’t reach. That’s why it’s also crucial to schedule biannual dental visits for professional cleanings in addition to maintaining good oral hygiene at home.
However, Dr. Stone may require you to come in for additional visits if you already have gingivitis or periodontitis, or have had gum problems in the past.
If you leave gum disease untreated, it can eventually lead to tooth loss and other health complications. Periodontitis has also been known to lead to respiratory disease, arthritis, coronary artery disease, and problems controlling blood sugar in diabetes.
It’s important to receive treatment for gum disease as soon as you know that this infection is affecting your smile and health. To get started, give us a call at (248) 644-8520 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Stone.
Rebuild Your Oral Health To New Heights
Regular dental visits and good oral hygiene are essential for treating and preventing gum disease. To learn more about periodontal therapy and preventing gum disease, patients in and around Berkley, Clawson, and Beverly Hills, MI, can contact our Birmingham office at (248) 644-8520 or fill out a contact form. We’ll be happy to explain your treatment options.